- 200g penne (or other tube shape) pasta
- 250g pack chestnut or button mushrooms , wiped clean
- 4 rashers streaky bacon
- 3 tbsp pesto (fresh from the chiller cabinet if possible)
- 200ml carton 50% fat crème fraîche
- handful basil leaves
- Cook the pasta in boiling water in a large non-stick saucepan according to pack instructions. Meanwhile, slice the mushrooms and snip the bacon into bite-size pieces with scissors or a sharp knife.
- Reserve a few drops of the cooking water in a cup or bowl, then drain the pasta and set aside. Fry the bacon and mushrooms in the same pan until golden, about 5 mins. Keep the heat high so the mushrooms fry in the bacon fat, rather than sweat.
- Tip the pasta and reserved water back into the pan and stir over the heat for 1 min. Take the pan off the heat, spoon in the pesto and crème fraîche and most of the basil and stir to combine. Sprinkle with the remaining basil to serve.