- Splash of vegetable oil
- 6 medium-sized garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 green bell peppers, halves, stemmed, seeded, deveined, and cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 2 medium-sized yellow onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons medium-hot pure chilli powder
- 2 teaspoons red (cayenne) pepper
- 900g lean beef mince
- 1 can chopped tomatoes
- 250ml beer
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon salt
- In a medium saucepan, heave the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the garlic, bell peppers, and onions and sauté until the onions turn transparent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the chile powder and cayenne and sauté 1 minute more.
- Add the beef and sauté, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the meat coarsely, until the beef is evenly browned, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes, beer, tomato paste, oregano, sugar, and salt. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chili is thick, about 20 minutes.