- 30 grams (1/4 cup) best-quality cocoa powder (I used Varlhona cocoa)
- 55 grams (1/4 cup) caster sugar (more if you like a sweeter sauce)
- 100 ml water (substitute with milk for a creamier texture)
- 10 grams (2 teaspoons) unsalted butter, diced
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Combine the cocoa powder, caster sugar and water in a small pot. Bring it to a boil over medium-high heat, whisking constantly to dissolve the sugar and cocoa powder.
- Remove the pot from heat and stir in the butter. Let the sauce cool before transferring it to a serving container. The sauce will thicken slightly when cooled.
Make ahead (Optional): Keep the sauce covered in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. Warm it up in the microwave or in a pot and whisk till smooth before using.