- 250g potatoes per person, peeled
- 1 litre vegetable oil
- Cut the potatoes into 1cm slices then slice these into 1cm-wide chips. Place the chips into a colander and rinse under cold running water.
- Place the washed and dried chips into a pan of cold water, bring to a gentle boil and simmer for 3 – 4 minutes. Drain through a colander and dry thoroughly with kitchen paper.
- Heat the oil to 150°C in a deep-fat fryer or large, deep saucepan. Blanch the chips a few handfuls at a time in the fat for a couple of minutes. Do not brown them. Once they seem drier and slightly cooked remove from the fat and drain on kitchen paper.
- Heat the fat to 190°C and cook the chips until golden and crisp about 5 – 8 minutes. Serve immediately.